Week 8: October 27, 2014
Shameless Plug: Baltimore Hackathon
- Another project 1 presentation!
- HW3 (laser cutting) review
- Reading Discussion
Project 1 Peer Review Forms
Take a few minutes to fill out the peer review forms that I will send to your MICA email address.
The details of the forms will be kept private, so please feel free to answer each question honestly.
Similar to our project 1 review process.
- Show and discuss objects
- Talk about techniques used, lessons learned
Unfold & Jonathan Keep
L'Artisan Electroniqueby Unfold with Tim Knapen, 2010
Jonathan Keep's DIY ceramic delta printer
Sun Cutter, 2010
Solar Sinter, 2011
Biologically inspired/assisted fabrication from MIT Media Lab's Mediated Matter Group
DIY Inventions from 30 Years of Isolation
Discuss reading (excerpts from The System of Objects)
You will have 5 minutes to review the reading to pick out something which you find interesting and would like to discuss.
A parametric form is designed to accept input in the form of parameters or arguments. The parametric toolkit for OpenSCAD consists of:
- Variables (a named value which can be used as a parameter) More info...
- Modules (instructions to build forms which can be reused and accept parameters) More info...
- Conditional statements (can be used to signal different versions or characteristics of forms from input parameters) More info... Brief and helpful suggestions for making your design parametric: link
Let's look at a parametric wrench (link).
And some more interesting parameterization...
Printable tool research (due on Nov. 10th)
Find a tool which you think might be useful to you. Document your experience using the tool:
- I recommend searching for your tool on Thingiverse.
- Have tool file(s) in class next week for printing.
- Try to use the tool as much as possible over the course of a week (minimum 3 uses); making notes or taking photos to document the experience.
- Roughly 200 word (half page) document saved as a .pdf which describes your experience with the tool, including any suggestions you have for modifying it to better suit your needs.
- Include at least 3 photos with documentation.
Parametric form (3 from 3 due Nov. 3rd)
Create a module which accepts three parameters, capable of producting at least three different, but related, forums.
- Export .stl files of 3 different forms.
- Document with a GitHub repository. Standard format applies.
- No need to print these, but do include renders if you decide not to print.